Safety reference design targeting ISO 26262 ASIL C
NewTec NTBatteryManagementSystem (NTBMS) is an e-mobility reference design and complete safety support package for Battery Management Systems. It is constructed with a two board approach: a functional safety System-onModule board and a Battery Management System (BMS) application board.
The NTBMS is a generic safety reference design developed in cooperation with NXP.
- Accelerate time to market
- Reduction in costs for development and certification
- Reference Design targeting ISO 26262 ASIL C
- Automotive applications for starter and auxiliary Lithium-Ion batteries
- eScooter, etc.
- Smart Grid energy management
- Infrastructure / Decentralized Energy
- Battery charging stations
- Distributed Power Management / Smart Grids
- Industrial applications
- Medical applications
- Emergency failover systems
- Portable medical devices
- Construction / Agriculture
- Portable power tools
- Hybrid construction vehicles
The NTBMS is designed for systems with high demand on reliability and safety targeting ISO 26262 ASIL C.
The Battery Management System of Li-Ion battery includes cell monitoring, current sensing, passive cell balancing, battery breaker control, computation unit for Battery parameter extraction and communication to other ECU through LIN or CAN.
Battery management systems are responsible to monitor and control low- and high-voltage batteries on Li-Ion technology of Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicles. This control unit is essential since several battery cells are unified to a cluster to enhance battery capacity. Lithium-Ion batteries require a prevention of voltage fluctuation during the process of battery charging. Thus BMS are essential to monitor state of charge, load distribution, temperature of each battery cell as well as of the whole battery package and development of the charging capacity.
- Programmable in C
- Permanent measurement of cell voltages
- Over-temperature protection
- Overcurrent / overvoltage detection
- Safe relay (breaker) control (ASIL C)
- Various definable Safe States
- LIN and CAN bus interface
- Crash detection
- Overcurrent control fuse
- Power supply with watchdog protection
- Cell balancing of up to 6 Lithium-ion battery cells (14V)
- Electrical current carrying capability:
- 200 A continuous current
- 800 A maximum current
- Intrusive diagnostics (performed by MCU)
- Power management
- CAN for auxiliary batter